Bow and arrow physics simulation for Windows and Linux
Bow Simulator is a free, open-source software tool for simulating the physics of bow and arrow. Users can create virtual bow designs and calculate static and dynamic characteristics such as deformation, draw curve, material stresses, arrow velocity, degree of efficiency and more. This allows for evaluating and optimizing bow designs before actually building them.
Please note however that this software is still somewhat immature, so don't trust the results too much yet and report any bugs that you find.
For more detailed information see the feature list below or have a look at the user manual. The latest version of the software can be found at the download section. Visit our subreddit for news, support and general discussion.
Graphical Bow Editor
- Create, load and save bow models
- Edit profile, layers, material properties and other parameters
Static and Dynamic Simulation
- Simulate the statics and dynamics of the bow
- Uses a finite element method internally
- Static results:
- Limb shapes
- Draw curve
- Stored energy
- Stress distribution
- Dynamic results:
- Position, velocity and acceleration of string and arrow
- Kinetic and potential energy
- Degree of efficiency
Command Line Interface
- Run simulations in batch mode
- Call Bow Simulator from other programs. The user manual shows an example for Python.
- Perform parameter studies and design optimizations
Free and Open-Source
- Released under the GNU General Public License v3.0
- Free to use, modify and redistribute
- Anyone can get involved in the development
- Downloads are available for Windows and Linux